Saturday, May 11, 2013

A special remembrance for Mother's Day

It's true, you don't realize what you've got until it's gone.
This is the second Mother's Day since my mom died but this one seems to be a little tougher than last year.
Maybe it's because of some major changes in my life over the last several months - positive and negative.
Usually, I would call her for updates on what's happening in Pennsville or - as was most of the time - she would call me to find out what's going on in Huntsville and let me know what's going on in Pennsville. Usually, she said, it was just " the same ol' same ol'."
Well, there won't be any phone calls tomorrow and that is a sad reality.
I can't tell her about Lance, Stephanie and Natalie, who is growing up so fast; or that Shane and Amber are expecting a baby in August and that Shane made the Dean's List at West Alabama and Amber received her nurse's pin. Or that Bo is about to finish his junior year at Madison Academy and is making college plans.
However, I have a feeling that she knows what's going on - which she always did anyway. You couldn't put anything past her.
There's supposed to be a special bond between a mother and daughter. Well, I believe there's a special one between mother and son.
She was the first girlfriend.
She was the woman who loved him unconditionally and, in many cases, the only woman who loved him no matter what. Granted, it was a mother's love, but he knew there was always someone who loved him.
She was a confidant on girl-related issues - which came in handy during the turbulent teen years. After all, a guy couldn't talk to his dad about why girls said this and did that. Mom could offer tips.

That's what I think I miss the most: The chats we had about different things in both of our lives.
I still occasionally find myself going through phone messages that I saved on my cell, hoping that somehow I had saved one from her with the chance to hear her voice one more time.
Just one more chance to hear "Well, hi Buddy. How are you?"
I'm OK, Mom. I miss you but I'm OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment