Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Facing frustration

The following blog is in a different tone than previous blogs. The author is a tad frustrated with his job search.


Well, I went and done it. I admitted frustration. And that's because, well, I am frustrated.
You see, it's been nearly 10 months since I was let go by my employer of some 27 years because I didn't have the "skill set" necessary for the new age of media.
Well, that's kind of amazing because here I am blogging, which I do believe is the new age of media. And, the thing is, I - as well as my co-workers who were also tossed to the roadside for the same alleged reason - have been posting online for a few years, as well as the old-fashioned newspaper-style reporting.
But that's another post for another day. 
So, back to the frustration.
I never thought it would take longer than this to find a job. I know I have something to offer and I don't understand why I'm still searching. I touched on this in a May blog about the over-50, underemployed crowd. I did believe that is part of the problem but in subsequent interviews, I was told that age isn't necessarily a factor. In fact, a few companies cherished their veterans.
I'm told, "well, you'd have to take an entry-level position and we really can't do that because you have a lot of experience."
So, let's find the middle ground. Or, hell, I'll take the entry-level job. After all, it is a job. Right now, I'm working for Sports Authority ... in the warehouse ... unloading trucks and moving the products to the sales floor. 
I'm not making anywhere near what I made at The Times, but I'm working. I'm also helping first-time sports families find the right equipment, uniforms, etc., for their young athletes. That's fulfilling in itself. With three boys having played sports, I can provide some advice.
But, I'm a writer. 
I've done free-lance work which is proving difficult to find on a regular basis. There are a lot of free-lance writers out there and a limited amount of work and money.
Meanwhile, the frustration and worry continue to build. There have been tears. Some nights, sleep is impossible.
Will I ever find another writing job? 
Friends try to pick up my spirits, give me hope. "You'll find something." "There's something out there with your name on it." "The right job just hasn't opened yet."
I appreciate their concerns and good wishes. I really do. In fact, I have a lot of people to thank for saying or writing the right thing at the time I needed to hear or read it.
I try to keep positive but still the worry builds and self-doubt creeps in. How long will it be before I do find "the right job"? Will I ever "find something"? Where is that job with my "name on it"?
Frustrating ...


No comments:

Post a Comment