Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A few (thousand?) stories to be told

With 34 years of journalism under my belt, it didn't take long for me to realize that I do have a love for writing.
But, it took the urging of friends to take this step into the blogosphere.
As most of you know, in the most recent years of my newspaper career, I have tried to be an advocate for small businesses. After all, they are the backbone of any economy and a neighborhood.
The owners usually left other jobs or careers to take a brave venture into the tough world of small businesses.
They don't do it for security, either. They do it for the love of whatever business they enter and they want to be their own boss.
I've had the honor of writing about these people and sharing their stories with readers of The Times. Now, I can continue to write about them and share them with you in this vast world of bloggers.
I am also a sports nut and there will be sports posts from time to time. In fact, I've signed on to cover the Huntsville Havoc and the UAH hockey team for the new Alabama Media Group.
Now, some may view this as a strange turn but I look at it as a way to get word out about the teams and their successes from the viewpoint of a hockey writer/fan.
And, you may find the occasional blogs from the grandfather side of me. My oldest son, Lance, and his wife Stephanie are the proud parents of the ever-smiling Natalie.
There may also be inclinations to blog about the activities and/or antics of Lance and his brothers Shane and Bo.
While there may be 300,000 stories in the naked city, I figure I've got a few thousand of my own.

5 comments:

  1. Go for it, Buddy! Hope to check in now and then...good luck to ya in whatever you endeavor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Bud. Nice to know I can still read your wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great first article. Who are the Havoc and what are they doing to Huntsville?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, the Havoc are a minor-league hockey team. :-)

    And Budd, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." You can never keep a good man down! Glad to see you keeping at it!

    ReplyDelete