Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In the retail world, a little courtesy goes a long way

I apologize for missing yesterday's blog, but I was called off to work.
No, nothing related to my former career or possible new career.
For the past year - in fact, yesterday was my first anniversary - I've been working part time at Sports Authority in Huntsville.
It started because last year I almost accepted a buyout offer from The Times but was convinced to stay - that's another story for another day.
Anyway, working in retail has been a real eye opener. The closest I came to that was in my junior and senior years in high school when I worked part-time at the old Salem Acme. I was a stocker and checkout clerk and enjoyed my experience.
At Sports Authority, I'm a "sales associate." In other words, the person on the floor who helps customers find items and helps pick out specific things - such as the right bat for the 8-year-old beginning ballplayer and the right shoe for the person who's on their feet 8, 9 hours a day.
It's fulfilling to help the young parents who are shopping for their first-time soccer, baseball or football player.
Having three boys who all played a variety of sports - hockey, football, basketball, baseball, soccer - helps give me a perspective that I believe is helpful.
But there's also another side to retail - customer relations.
I know there's an old saying "the customer is always right." Well, I'd like to modify that to read "The customer may be right - but not always."
We are all customers, or consumers, and we usually know what we want when we go to a store.
But that doesn't give us the right to snub or react coldly when a store employee asks us if we need help finding something.
Now, there are times when we can't find a sales person or are ignored by them. I've been in that situation and it leaves a bad impression of the store and I usually walk out and let someone at the desk know.
If someone asks to help, just say "Yes, please. I'm looking for ..." or "Thank you, but I'm going to such-and-such department" or something to that effect.
You'd be surprised at how pleasant that makes a customer and a sales person feel.
One of my peeves, though, is the mess that is left in a dressing room. It is not unusual for us to find  clothes that were tried on laying on the floor of the dressing room on tossed on the bench.
Granted, this isn't every night, but it is frequent enough. Thankfully, not everyone who goes in a dressing room leaves the clothes strewn and they end up buying them.
It's been a wonderful experience in the retail world - a complement to my former job as a business editor - and my co-workers are all great people and my dealings with customers have been, overall, great.
But, we all have our retail "horror stories" and those stories could be averted if customers would be courteous to the sales people who need to return the courtesy.
Happy shopping.

3 comments:

  1. I've worked for the biggest retail chain in the world for more than five years now and it burns me up how disgustingly rude many people act. I am literally the first person you see when you come into the store. I am good at my job, I genuinely like people and am always eager to help. But I have, on many occasions, been screamed at as soon as people enter the store -- no carts or people having to get their own carts, no electric scooters, demanding to know where particular items are and then walking away before I've given directions, for the person not being at the lottery booth, etc. The list is endless. I will NEVER go out of my way to help those people, and it's hard to keep smiling at times. Sometimes, I just have to walk away. Other times, I keep gritting out a smile while I talk through my bared teeth ... LOL. Seriously, though, a little kindness goes a long way. I know people are in a hurry to get what they need and leave, and I'm always happy to help in any way I can. Just don't be a jerk, especially with Christmas approaching. It's not my fault or my problem because YOU waited until the last minute, or the last day of a sale, and it's not my fault because we're out of something you wanted to buy. The next time you complain about no carts, why don't you grab one of the 20 you walked by on your way into the store? We have guys out there constantly and those same guys do the carryouts, cleaning, skid removal -- you name it! And while I'm at it, when you're done shopping, put all your snot rags, coffee cups, McDonald's bags, food samples and your unwanted flyers in the trash. Don't leave them in the cart. I am known to very nicely take those items to people and kindly tell them they forgot their items. I've cleaned out a lot of carts in my day and the most disgusting thing I have ever found was a used diaper, full of urine, opened and lying facedown in it. TWICE. I cannot tell you the amount of sanitizer I used to clean both carts.

    I won't get started on the dressing rooms. Let me say that your Momma doesn't work there and even if she did, I hope she gives you a swift kick if you're a pig with clothes that don't belong to you. If they get dirty, we have to claim them, meaning they can't be sold because you threw them on the floor or stained them with your makeup or whatever else. I find bathing suits to be the most disgusting and I shouldn't have to say why. The strip is in the bottom for a reason. Don't take it out. Hang the clothes back up. They don't have to be perfect, but again, don't be a jerk.

    The thing that makes me the maddest, however, is people who decide they don't want cold or frozen food when they get to the checkout. You'd be horrified if you realized the amount of waste because we can't put it back on the shelves. I've seen turkeys, chicken steaks, milk, eggs, ice cream -- you name it! Gas prices aren't the only reason everything is so expensive. If you're not sure about buying the item, leave it.

    Sorry, Bud. I've got a LOT of horror stories ... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at Target for two years, and what bugged me the most was people opening sealed boxes so they could play with the item - be it a blender, an inkjet printer, or even drapes. Then they'd leave the package in shambles, as if it were their right to tear something up and not have to buy it.

    A young couple was shopping for a popcorn maker once...opened the box...broke the plastic dome. I saw it all happen. Then they had the gall to point out the crack to me and ask for a sealed unit from the store room. I found them one that was sealed...but I couldn't promise that it hadn't been dropped from the top of the a-frame ladder a few times...

    ReplyDelete